Another holiday weekend is upon us, which means it's time to find out where everyone will be going. Priceline.com has released a list of the 50 most popular destinations for the 2009 Independence Day weekend, based on a survey of over 30,000 hotel booking requests made by customers.
Here are the top 10:
1. New Orleans, Downtown/Convention Center
2. Las Vegas, Strip Vicinity South
3. Chicago, Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park Area
4. New York City, Times Square/Theater District
5. Seattle, Downtown/Pike Place
6. San Diego, Coastal Area
7. Chicago, North Michigan Avenue/River North Area
8. New Orleans, French Quarter
9. Washington, DC, White House/Downtown
10. Boston, Copley Square/Theater District
Priceline.com's "Travel Ekspert" Brian Ek had this to say about the results: "The big surprise this year is the emergence of New Orleans' downtown/convention center area as the #1 July 4 destination. This is the first time New Orleans is in the top spot for the holiday and could signal the completion of the city's comeback as a tourist mecca following Hurricane Katrina."
He also noted that many of the top locations are reachable by car for large segments of the population, likely due to the current state of the economy.
Did you find any of these destinations surprising? I'm a little surprised not just that New Orleans is number one, but that it actually has two spots on the top 10. I thought Philadelphia was a pretty popular July 4 destination (at least over here on the East Coast it is), so I figured that would be on the list.
Did your July 4 destination of choice make the list?
Read the full list at Priceline's Travel Blog.