Y'all know that we Texans just love the word big. We use it a lot, but it certainly applies at Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa, where the big news is that Meadowbrook Golf Group has assumed management responsibilities at the 27,000-acre resort between Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park in West Texas, one of the most magnificent natural landscapes in the U.S.
The new Meadowbrook management team will tend the 18-hole championship Black Jack's Crossing Golf Course, in addition to revamping the entire F&B department. Although Meadowbrook is Florida-based, the company has implemented a homegrown management team.
"There was a strong emphasis on hiring the right people with the right backgrounds and experience," said Scott Beasley, VP of operations. "But one common theme that we feel is very important to Lajitas is that they are all from Texas." That includes Beasley and CEO Ron Jackson.
What won't change is Lajitas' (rhymes with fajitas) spectacular natural surroundings coupled with world-class amenities -- they call it "rugged luxury" -- like the Agave Spa, art gallery, pool, restaurants, general store, deli and the Thirsty Goat Saloon. Activities include horseback riding, rafting on the Rio Grande, ATVs, skeet shooting, biking, hiking, fishing and more.
Special event venues include:
- Flat Rock Theater, features original 1930's era chairs from the glory days of cinema, built-in stage, movie screen, control booth, and lobby with full concession stand. Seats 60.
- Lajitas Amphitheatre, an open-air performance venue for concerts, presentations and ceremonies with a 60-foot presentation stage with full lighting and sound.
- Pavilion Ballroom and Terrace offers 3,600 square feet of unobstructed high-ceiling indoor space with fireplace and chandeliers, for groups up to 200.
- Maverick Ranch Conference Center is 4,800 square feet with two connected meeting rooms, parlor, outdoor pool, terrace and wedding garden.
- Lajitas Chapel is a newly restored 19th-century landmark featuring Saltillo tile and adobe walls, perfect for an intimate ceremony.
And available exclusively for private events, meetings, conferences and weddings:
- Ocotillo restaurant, a rustically elegant setting for private group events only, with incredible views of the Rio Grande River and Mexico. Their executive chef and sales and catering staff will help groups plan the perfect customized meal and wine pairings from their extensive catering menu.