While box lunches have a reputation for being boring, they are the best option for some situations that arise during corporate events. For example:
- the client is seeking an alternative to a "buy-on-board" in-flight meal
- some guests will arrive after room service is closed
- when the journey from the airport to the resort is long and will take the group through a lunch or snack period
- a flight time requires departure for the airport before the scheduled lunch (or breakfast) at the resort
- a picnic is planned for a group excursion
- a meal or snack is needed for a limousine or charter
Box lunches don't have to be boring. Adding even one or two interesting menu items and providing a unique give-away container to keep them warm will be appreciated by any group.
Here are a few ideas to enrich box lunch menus as well as some creative containers in which to serve them:
- Japanese Benito box with rice, chicken or vegetarian Teriyaki, shrimp or vegetarian tempura, vegetarian sushi such as California rolls or cucumber rolls. Great Christmas Gifts featured fashionable Benito boxes. These bentos from Monbento can be customized to harmonize with an events color palette. Go ahead. Try it an download your design.
- French baguette as an alternative to bread for sandwiches.
- Jamaican beef or vegetarian patties.
- Beef or vegetarian sliders.
- Danish open face sandwiches.
- Afternoon tea to go. Finger sandwiches, a salad, scones and some pastry will be a delightful break from ho-hum box lunches. (See photo to the right for a colorful way to package afternoon tea.)
- Falafel or shish kebab in pita
- Mini gourmet pizzas
- Club sandwiches
- Chicken pot pie
- Shepherd's Pie
- Mini-Beef Wellingtons
The right container really opens up the possibilities for the variety of dishes than can be served including:
- Rice Dishes
- Steamed vegetables
Take a look at Box Appetit by Black + Blum that makes it possible to serve salads, sauces and meat easily.
- Chicken tandori and nan served in a modern tiffin box will spice up any lunch box (see photo and video).
Tiffin boxes (stacking lunch boxes) are the heart of a lunch delivery system in India that is over 100 years old.
For more ideas to beat lunchtime letdown, also read Business Meetings: 7 Alternatives to the Working Lunch and Making Working Lunches Healthy, Interactive and Fun.