Some corporate events just cry out for cake: corporate anniversaries, retirement parties, reunions, openings, product launches, galas, teas, garden parties, and, of course, holiday parties.
Cakes are available at all price points. A designer cake can be custom designed for a gala or luxury event.
To stretch event budgets, cake can also be a substitute for a more expensive dessert but remember: "cheap cake ain't good, good cake ain't cheap." The cost of the cake stand, set-up and delivery need to be worked into the budget.
- If you're thinking of using a cake from an off-site supplier, make sure that permission to do so is written into your venue contract. Some venues have hefty fees, so these need to be waived in contracts.
- Arrange for a tasting. When selecting a cake, it's important to make sure it's moist, light, and fluffy. Ask about the shelf life for unused cake with or without refrigeration.
- Don't get stuck in a rut. Remember there are:
- Molten chocolate cakes
- Petit Fours
- Lava cakes
- Dark fruit cake (used for Christmas and iced and used for weddings in the Caribbean)
- Black Forest Cake (a German favorite)
- Ice cream cakes
- Cake Rolls
- Seasonal cakes like buche de Noel
- Diversity counts. Kosher and Halal cakes are available in many markets.
- Don't forget to provide options for guests that are vegetarian, vegan, or health conscious. Cakes don't have to be sweet, they can also be savory.
- Strawberry shortcakes
- Raspberry cakes
- Carrot cakes
- Zucchini cakes
- Apple cakes
- Blueberry cakes
- Coconut cakes
- Pumpkin cakes
- ...even Tomato Cakes
International cakemaster Ron Ben-Israel shares his recipe for a carrot cake:
- Accommodate the needs of health conscious attendees by provide a version of the cake that replaces calorie laden frosting or icing with whipped cream cheese, tofu frosting, or a frosting made with thick yogurt.
- Remember, cakes come in all shapes and sizes, Often a standard layer or tiered cake with icing comes to mind when one thinks of cake. Duff Goldman of Charm City Cakes/Ace of Cakes host shows that there is more to cake than meets the eye:
In fact, any object or design can provide inspiration for a cake. Cakes shaped like just about any product and even buildings (like corporate headquarters) are all possible.
- Reinforce branding, reflect event themes or mirror the corporate logos or the event color palette with cake.
As this video demonstrates, cakes can be a centerpiece and a key element of event decor:
For more dessert ideas, also read "I Want Sprinkles:" How Wedding Planners Can Avoid Cake Wrecks, A Sweet Treat for Special Clients: Cake-in-a-Jar!, 6 Ways to Wow Chocoholics, Chocolate Event Venues: 4 Great Picks for Chocoholics, 21 Delectable Desserts for Corporate Events, Corporate Events: New Twists on Strawberry Socials.