To successfully design and executive events, a blend of analytical, logical, and creative skills are needed but it's creativity that adds the "wow" factor.
In fact, 53% of event planners responding to a recent study in conjunction with the London Convention Bureau’s Love the Event, Love the Experience campaign felt pressure to "raise the bar" to deliver creative and innovative events. Yet, only 39% of the 400 event planners who completed a test to assess their creativity were identified as creative thinkers. (The test was based on the left brain/right brain model for which Roger W. Sperry received a Nobel Prize in 1981.)
To bridge the gap, experts at London and Partners, London's official promotional company, are helping event planners draw on their creativity and throwing some of their own ideas into the mix. For example, at their IMEX Frankfurt booth, London and Partners is hosting a creative thinking session.
Keep abreast of activities at IMEX Frankfurt 2015 with IMEXlive powered by Cvent.
Other London based initiatives underscoring innovation include:
- Traveltech Lab, a global hub for creativity. This new incubator co-working space was created by London & Partners and The Trampery to foster creativity and innovation. Disruptive start-ups in the events, hospitality, travel, and tourism industries can apply for membership
- London Technology Week 2015. From June 15 - 21, 2015 featuring a wide range of host venues and keynote speakers from local and global technology companies.
Creativity can take many forms. On the horizon, here are examples of creative activities, appealing to a variety of tastes, interests and age groups, for groups to incorporate into London events.
- Art15 London, London's global art fair returning to 150 galleries this weekend
- Rugby World Cup 2015
- Open Garden Squares Weekend from Saturday, June 13 - Sunday June 14 2015, when visitors can explore more than 200 gardens that are not usually open to the public
- Royal Horticultural Society's Hampton Court Palace Flower Show during the first weekend of July will showcasing the works of leading floral designers and nurseries
- Shrek’s Adventure! London, a family attraction featuring fairy tale characters and a 4D bus ride, opens this summer
- Drake will headline Wireless, a hip-hop, R&B and dance festival at Finsbury Park
- During the annual Summer Opening of Buckingham Palace, for the fist time, displays in the State Rooms will re-create set-ups for state and signature events
- London Fashion weekend, from September 24 - 27, 2015, will feature pop-up events, sales and designer catwalk shows
This video provides many ideas for private and corporate events in London:
Event planners can still take the 30-second Right brained? Left brained? Test.
(I took the test and there were no surprises. My result revealed "Congratulations You are right-brained.")
Photo Credit: Andre Zehetbauer