Content marketing is a powerful tool for event planners, corporations and associations. It has many benefits and can be used to:
- stay in touch with prospective and existing clients, members, sponsors, and donors
- establish yourself or your organization as an expert
- convey expertise
- reinforce branding
- underscore key marketing messages
... and, ultimately, generate leads or attract new members, sponsors, and donors.
Content marketing works by delivering highly valued information (content) to specific target audiences. Here are 7 tips for effective content marketing.
Content Marketing Tips
To design an effective content marketing strategy, it is important to:
- Identify your target market.
- Clarify their needs, opportunities, obstacles, and even areas of pain with laser precision.
- Analyze the demographics of your target market: A marketing grid is one of the most effective tools for doing this. It will allow you to identify where your offerings dovetail with the needs of your audience.
- Uncover the needs of your target market including opportunities, challenges, questions, concerns, and burning issues: A SWOT Analysis will give you a clear picture.
- Keep your eyes and ears open for relevant content both offline and online: I am often asked how, as a blogger who writes at least 5 times a week, I come up with so many ideas. Ideas are everywhere. If you're alert, just take a walk around the block or down any city street, and ideas that are relevant to your target audience will pop out at you. It's a matter of keeping your antennae finely tuned.
Here are some tips:
- Capture ideas you spot on-line on a Pinterest board.
- Keep a notebook in your pocket or purse at all times (or start a note page on your smart phone.)
- Keep a notepad to record ideas beside your bed. It's amazing how often people wake up with ideas that are forgotten by the morning if they don't jot them down
- Keep a master "bright ideas" file on your computer or tablet desktop and regularly transfer to it the ideas you've picked up "on the fly."
- Use brainstorming tools to build on your ideas and generate new ones.
- Facebook: Giant Board Games Boost Board Game Appeal for Millennials, What's Hot: 3D Projection Mapping - Inspired by video posted of Jennifer Lopez's exquisite "Feel the Light" performance in the white dress
- Walking Around Downtown Toronto: What's New: Technology for Event Marketing Innovation
- Driving Around Town: What's Hot: Indoor Scuba Diving for Group Events
- Consumer Trade Shows: Corporate Events - What's on the Horizon?, 5 Ways to Take the Boring Out of Beverage Service
- Incentiveworks Conference: 7 Multi-sensory Event Ideas
- Ignite Business Event Expo: Raising the Bar with Inspiring Decor
- Select the right medium based on the preferences of your target audience.
When people hear the words "content marketing", blogs are often the first medium that comes to mind, but content marketing can take many forms. Think:
- blog posts
- magazine articles
- YouTube pre-roll
- seminars and workshops
- Select the right channel.
One of the important keys to successful target marketing is to match the medium to the target audience, and market your content on the channel(s) that are frequented by their demographic.
Offline (including face-to-face):
- Trade Shows
- Networking Events
- Association Meetings
- Google Hangouts
- Skype Group Calls
- National Public Radio
For more content marketing tips, see you at Cvent CONNECT!
- Session Title: How to Bring your Event Agenda & Content Marketing Strategy Together
- Track: Event Management, Marketing, & ROI
- Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2015
- Time: 2:45 PM
- Session Title: Content Marketing to Attract, Acquire, and Engage Members and Donors
- Speakers: Anne Thornley-Brown and additional Cvent clients
- Track: Association
- Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2015
- Time: 4:00 PM