IMEX America 2012 has drawn to a close. We've already identified some of attention-grabbing booths. Today, we'll look back at some highlights.
First the statistics:
- 2,413 exhibitors showcased their hotels, resorts, event venues or destinations.
- Almost 1,000 hosted buyers and attendees participated in MPI Smart Monday.
- Representing an increase of over 20% since last year, IMEX America 2012 had 2,400 hosted buyers from the U.S., Canada and 43 other countries.
- There were 1,700 buyer attendees.
- Hosted buyers and buyer attendees booked over 38,000 appointments with exhibitors, a 60% increase over 2011.
- Over 100 students attended the 3 day Future Leader's Forum.
IMEX America 2012 - Day 1 Highlights: Tuesday
Dr. Jeff Salz kicked off the day with a keynote entitled The Adventure of Change. Virtual attendees joined members of the press for the Cvent/ Meeting Focus Global Panel. Cvent CEO and Founder Reggie Aggarwal made an important announcement about the Cvent alliance with American Express.
For the rest of the day, exhibitors and hosted buyers met. (Hosted buyers were required to attend 2 group appointments per day and pre-schedule 6 daily appointments with exhibitors of their choosing.)
Educational sessions included:
- Seminars: e.g. Creating Engaging Sessions and International Destination Index for Incentive Travel
- 13 CAMPFIRES: e.g. Learnings From the @IMEXSocialTeam and Expert Tweeting Session
- 2 Lightning Learning Lab: e.g. A View from Meeting Planners: Winning Strategies in Destination Marketing
In the evening, hosted buyers dined with their hosts. I was hosted by Tumlare, a European DMC. The dinner at the Paris Hotel's Eiffel Tower Restaurant was excellent. London and Partners held their annual bash and the IMEX America 2012 Party took place at the Hard Rock Cafe.
Cvent returned to Dal Toro where Reggie Aggarwal, Brian Ludwig, Cvent Vice President of Sales, Matthew Donegan-Ryan, Cvent Director of Sales, Mobile, Cvent bloggers, and clients mingled around luxury cars.
IMEX America 2012 - Day 2 Highlights: Wednesday
How to Turn Customers Into Crusaders, Doc Hendley's keynote, launched Day 1. Educational sessions included:
- Seminars: Contracting Tips for Doing Meetings Globally, Ripping Up the Rulebook - Radical Innovation
- 14 CAMPFIRES: e.g. Stay Healthy on the Road and FRESH Toolbox for Meeting Design
- 3 Lightning Learning Lab: e.g. Winning Strategies in Destination Marketing
Towards the end of the afternoon, the SITE Crystal Award winners were announced.
Malaysia distributed play money and attendees haggled and bargained for treasures at the market.
The second tweet-up in 2 days took place at Spain's booth with Tweeps introduced to tequila.
When the trade show closed, the Euro Party, in which 22 exhibitors from Europe participated, kicked into high gear, The trade show floor was filled with music, dancing, jugglers and excitement.
Tasty treats were available at the booths for Scandinavia, London and Partners, Switzerland and Italy.
The day ended with the MPI Foundation Rendez-Vous party at Pure Nightclub.
IMEX America 2012 - Day 3 Highlights: Thursday
Free the Idea Monkey, delivered by Mike Maddock, was IMEX America's the last keynote. Thursday's educational sessions included:
- Seminars: e.g. Gen X and Gen Y: The New 'Social' Generation
- 12 CAMPFIRES: e.g. When Bad Things Happen to Good Events
- 2 Lightning Learning Lab: e.g. Winning Strategies in Destination Marketing
Cvent conducted the The iPad Revolution and the Future of Mobile at Events session in the Apps. Bar.
Be sure to mark your calendar for IMEX Frankfurt from May 21 - 23, 2012 and IMEX America in Las Vegas from October 15 - 17, 2013.
Photo Credits: Executive Oasis International