A few nights ago, I had the privilege of dining at La Piazzetta in Altos de Chavon near La Romana in the Dominican Republic. This stunning destination perched on a cliff overlooking the Dye Fore Golf Course was designed by Roberto Copa who used to be a Paramount Pictures set designer.
Stroll along the streets of Altos de Chavon with their hand-crafted cobblestones and you will be immediately transported back in time, as Altos de Chavon is a replica of a 16th-century Italian village (within the Casa de Campo Resort complex).
With strolling musicians, traditional dances, and the many working artists with studios here, Altos de Chavon is the ultimate artists' colony.
Corporate groups can spend many hours exploring the art galleries, museums, and art studios or browsing in the over 45 boutiques of Altos de Chavon.
Hollywood movies that have been filmed on location in in Altos de Chavon have included Godfather II and the Sorcerer.
- The 5,000-seat replica of a Roman amphitheater which has hosted concerts by Julio Iglesias, Andrea Bocelli, Frank Sinatra, Alicia Keys, and other artists.
- St. Stanislaus Church, a popular wedding venue, which was consecrated by Pope John Paul II in 1979
- the Archeological Museum with over 3,000 artifacts dating back to the pre-Columbian era including an extensive Taino collection. (The Taino and the Caribs were the original inhabitants of the Caribbean region.)
- the Altos de Chavon School of Design
- Altos De Chavon Crafts Center
- Altos de Chavon Gallery
Of special interest to wedding and event planners will be the restaurants that can be privatized for medium groups:
Offers Cuban and Latin American specialties.
Featuring signature tapas.
Capacity: 70 - 80
Papa Jacks Bar & Restaurant
Offers light snacks in an open air location overlooking the Chavon River.
Features gourmet Italian cuisine including antipasto. handmade pasta, seafood, and divine desserts.
Small groups can reserve tables or sections at the restaurants. For large groups, 600 tables can be arranged in the courtyard of St. Stanislaus Church.
With a total buyout of all Altos de Chavon venues, groups of over 1,000 can share unforgettable dining experiences in truly unique settings.
For more information about the Dominican Republic, also read Incentive Destinations: Spotlight on Dominican Republic.