In Southeast Asia, temperatures and humidity climb during the summer. When Indonesian planters burn vegetation to prepare for next season, smoke drifts across the Malaysian Peninsula. To escape the unsettling haze that hovers and keep your team cool, head for the hills.
Malaysian Borneo: Kinabalu National Park
Spanning 291 square miles across 3 climatic zones, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is the location of Mount Kinabalu. Team members who dare can try The Torque, the world's highest via ferrata. Others can go mountain climbing to enjoy the spectacular view. Then, soak in the therapeutic sulfuric water at Poring Hot Springs.
Pahang: Cameron Highlands
Tour a tea plantation. Take in the view as you sip tea and nibble on scones with strawberry jam. The strawberries are grown in local greenhouses. Yes, you can go strawberry picking. A cooking challenge, using fresh strawberries to create scrumptious desserts, is a great team event.
- An Orang Asli village to learn about the culture of these aboriginal people.
- Time Tunnel Gallery to discover the area's history.
- The Night Market (on Fridays and Saturdays).
- 200,000-year-old Mossy Forest in Gunung Brinchang with its 3 story Lookout Tower. (Your Orang Asli guide will identify plants with medicinal properties.)
Accommodation: The area has resorts, and boutique hotels. Chalets and guest houses provide exclusive use and personal attention for small corporate teams.
Fraser's Hill/Bukit Fraser
This pine forested highland, a former tin-ore trading post, offers whitewater rafting, horse riding, bird watching, hiking, golf, and mountain biking for corporate team events. Stay at a resort, hotel, chalet, or Tudor cottage with English country garden.
Berjaya Hills/Bukit Tinggi
In this hill retreat and its surrounding areas, access horse riding, paintball, and spas. Excursions include:
- Bentong Hot Spring
- Elephant rides at Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary
- Malaysian Aborigine Settlement
- Japanese village
- Tropicale Colomar, a resort that replicates a medieval French village
Soar above the clouds in a cable car to try your luck at the casino, take in a Las Vegas-style show or unwind at the theme park. Genting Highlands has extensive convention facilities.
This photo tour provides glimpses of Pahang's highlands, the town of Kuantan and coastal areas.