In the fall, communities throughout New England come alive as they showcase their bountiful harvests through annual agricultural fairs and food festivals. A variety of events feature cranberries, pumpkins, apples and the delicious seafood for which the New England States are so well known. It's an ideal time to plan a conference or business meeting and take in the explore the local community during downtime. (For your convenience, we've linked to the Cvent Meeting Planning Guides for each area.)
Harvest on the Harbor in Portland, Maine gives guests a chance to sample a variety of dishes made from local produce through cooking contests, demonstrations and special events like the Grand Tasting on the Harbor, and the Maine Lobster Chef of the Year Competition.
- Hampton Beach Seafood Festival in New Hampshire. This colorful festival, which take place in September every year, showcase shrimp, lobster and other seafood. Over 80 vendors display a wide variety of crafts and a dazzling fireworks display lights up the sky on Saturday night.
- Bourne Scallop Festival on Cape Cod in Massachusetts is known for its signature scallop dinners. Visitors can enjoy hours of fun at the Midway.
- Applefest near Hartford, Connecticut features fun for the whole family including pie bake-offs, pie eating contests and great food.
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival hosted by The Breakers, Chateau-sur-Mer, The Elms, Marble House,and other mansions on Rhode Island brings celebrity chefs and wine experts together for a celebration of local and international wines and gourmet cuisine.
- Vermont Life Wine & Harvest Festival provides an opportunity to view the fall foliage in Vermont that provides a backdrop for wine pairing dinners, culinary demonstrations and wine tastings.
For more fall festivals also read Cvent Event Blogs features about Fall Food Festivals in the Maritimes, Cornucopia Food and Wine Festival Showcases Whistler's Bountiful Harvest, A World of Fall and Harvest Festivals and What's Hot: 12 Fabulous Food Festivals
Photo Credit: Harvest on the Harbor