As fellow Cvent Blogger Liz King explained a few months ago, a tweet-up is a face-to-face get together of individuals who initially met on Twitter (or other social media channels like LinkedIn, Facebook or Google+). They take engagement that began online to the next level and they are an important part of networking and relationships building.
My first was at the PCMAEC in Montreal a few years ago. For some reason, I thought you had to bring your laptops and send out tweets during the event. Instead, it was a delightful, informal and fun gathering. It provided an opportunity to get to know some of the people with whom I enjoyed interacting online. Since then, I've participated in a number of tweet-ups and even organized a few. If you're thinking of holding a Tweet-up, here are a few tips:
A good time to hold a stand alone event is if someone who is active on social media is coming to your town. Lara McCulloch, Toronto-based founder of Twitter's #eventprofs community did just that when Jessica Levin and Midori Connolly were coming to Toronto. I did the same thing when I learned that Jenise Stout Fryatt was coming to town. You can either find a sponsor (ideally a venue) or attendees can pay for their own refreshments.
- Select an interesting venue, usually a restaurant or cafe with some character.
- Call ahead to make reservations.
- Promote the event heavily on all social media channels.
- Confirm numbers a couple of days before the tweet-up.
- Sent out final reminders on social media.
Leverage an Existing Event
There are two ways to leverage an existing event:
- Plan the tweet-up at a separate venue one evening during the trade show or conference.
- Arrange for people to sit together at lunchtime a reserved table at a conference. (The conference organizers will help you do this.)
- At a trade show, team up with one of the booths and get permission to hold your tweet-up there.
IMEX is a great example. #eventprofs have tweeted up with Mister Holland at the Netherlands Board of Tourism & Conventions (NBTC) booth a number of times at both IMEX America and IMEX Frankfurt.
Next month during IMEX America 2013, a tweet-up will take place at the Switzerland Tourism and Convention Bureau's Booth .
- Date: October 15, 2013, 3:45 - 5:15 PM.
- Place: Booth 2619 - Switzerland Tourism and Convention Bureau
- RSVP HERE: IMEX America Tweet-up #IMEX13
This time there will be a new twist. After some informal mingling at 3:45 PM, the team at the Switzerland Tourism and Convention Bureau booth will lead a short and entertaining activity through which event professionals can discover more about Switzerland. After that everyone can feel free to mix and mingle.
Photo Credits: Executive Oasis International