The countdown is on! In about 4-1/2 years, the Winter Olympics will take place from February 9 - 25, 2018 in PyeongChang, South Korea (known as the "Asian Alps'). The PyeongChang 2018 Organizing Committee (POCOG) is spearheading all preparations. Many upgrades to the local infrastructure that will appeal to MICE professionals are currently taking place:
- a new high-speed rail link is being developed that will connect PyeongChang with Gangneung, and Wonju
- the high-speed rail link between Incheon Seoul, International Airport, and Wonju is being upgraded
6 existing outdoor venues are being developed including
- areas for Ski Jumping, Cross Country Skiing, and Biathlon at Alpensia Resort
- a venue for Alpine Skiing Giant Slalom/Slalom at Yongpyong Resort
- Freestyle Skiing, Snowboarding at Bokwang Phoenix Park
2 brand-new venues are under development
- Bobsleigh/Skeleton/Luge tracks at InterContinental Alpensia Pyeongchang Resort
Alpine Skiing Downhill/Super-G at Jeongseon Jungbong
InterContinental Hotel Group currently has 3 properties in PyeongChang that make up the Alpensia, an all-season recreational playground. InterContinental Alpensia, a 5 Star resort opened just 3 years ago. Together with Holiday Inn Resorts Alpensia Pyeongchang and Holiday Inn & Suites Alpensia PyeongChang they provide a total capacity of 851 rooms. The Alpensia Conference Centre has a capacity of 2,000.
In addition to the Olympic village and facilities for the Olympics, Alpensia will also have an ice-ridge climbing centre, golf courses, and the Ocean 700 water park with 15,000 meters of indoor space and 3000 square meters of outdoor facilities.
During down time, corporate groups will also want to check out the Ski Museum, the Eco Learning Centre and the retail village.
Nature enthusiasts can explore the Dutasan Recreational Forest, the Korea Botanic Garden, and the Donggang Freshwater Fish Ecology Center. Art lovers will be able to take in world-class entertainment at the Concert Hall and the Music Tent.
For more Olympic destinations, also read Incentive Destinations: Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics.
Consult the South Korea Meeting Planning Guide for assistance in planning your trip.