Everything is perfect. You've taken your incentive group and their families to a stunning resort in a tropical paradise. Everyone is excited, especially the children.
Then, the unthinkable happens. It starts raining and it shows no sign of stopping.
NOTE: It's happening to one of my clients as we speak. The children are enjoying splashing around in the pool and they can continue to do so as long as there is no thunder or lightning.
In good weather or bad, selecting a resort with a kid's club is the first step to keeping young guests happy. They will always have a full slate of activities for the children. Even if the resort does not have a kids club, by planning ahead, event planners can ensure that everyone still has a great time.
Here are a few more ideas for rainy days:
Fun for the Whole Family
- Board games.
- Giant board games.
- Card games.
- Indoor sports.
- Checker's tournaments.
- Cooking or baking contests. This is great for families.
- Cake decorating contest.
- Vintage Computer Games: e.g. Pac-Man
- Indoor beach party.
- Art projects.
Children of All Ages
- Playstation or Wii tournament.
- Indoor treasure hunt.
- Indoor scavenger hunt
- Learning magic tricks.
- Paper bag dramatics: Divide the group into teams. Give each team a paper bag. Give a time limit and ask the teams to go out and collect random objects. When they come back, trade bags. Each team makes up a skit using the objects found in the bag.
- Tug of war in the rain.
- Indoor Campfire with Sing-a-Long and S'mores.
- Pictures, popcorn and pizza night.
- Ice Cream Sundae Making
- Pizza Making
Children Over 10
- Lip sync Contest
- Baking brownies.
- Sketching or Painting workshop.
- Improv Workshop.
- DJ contest
- Chess tournament
Children Under 10
- Fun with Water Balloons: Since you're wet already, the children may as well enjoy themselves.
- Vintage toys: Whether it's yo-yos, slinkies, Jacob's ladder, or jacks, the children will enjoy playing with the toys of yesteryear.
- Finger painting.
- Magic Show.
- Ring games.
- Making balloon animals.
- Baking or decorating cookies or cupcakes.
For more ideas to keep children entertained when it rains, also check out Creating a Pop-up Retro Kid's Club and Fun for Children at International Family-Friendly Events.