Monday is Victoria Day in Canada, Cvent Blog has previously discussed the significance of Victoria Day and what happens during Victoria Day Events in Canada. Since 2003, when the rest of Canada celebrates Victoria Day, its Journee nationale des patriotes (National Patriot's Day) in the Province of Quebec.
From coast to coast, some of the events that are taking place to mark these holidays include:
Victoria Day Teas
- Victoria, B.C.: The Fairmont Empress is serving their famous Afternoon Tea
- Vancouver: The Victorian Hotel, which was built in 1898, will serve its annual Victorian afternoon tea
- Toronto: Montgomery's Inn will present its annual Victoria Day Tea and Tour
- Halifax: Afternoon tea with mini-sandwiches and desserts will be served at Lord Nelson Hotel. Guests are encouraged to wear Victorian-styled clothing
- Ottawa: The Victoria Festival started on May 9th with celebrations during the 2 weekends preceding Victoria Day. There have been midways, concessions and desserts
- Toronto: Fort York National Historic Site, from 10 AM to 5 PM, there will be demonstrations of Georgian-era cooking, English country dancing
- Victoria: Victoria Day Parade
Just in time for Victoria Day, HRH Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall will begin their 2014 visit to Canada in Halifax. On Victoria Day, they will view the Grand Parade in Halifax before departing for Pictou for a concert and the dedication of a museum commemorating Scottish immigration to Canada.
They end Victoria Day by attending a concert and fireworks in Charlottetown.
- Ottawa: There were fireworks on Sunday at Mooney’s Bay
- Toronto: Victoria Day fireworks will start at 10 PM at Ashbridges Bay Park
Journee nationale des patriotes (Quebec)
This day has been set aside to remember the leaders of the 1837 rebellions against British rule that took place in Lower Canada (the name by which the Province of Quebec was once known).
The theme of this year's holiday is "A la grandeur du Quebec". Some of the events that are taking place include:
- Montreal: On Sunday, Musee Stewart at Parc Jean-Drapeau will have a special exhibit with artifacts from the rebellions took place.
- Gatineau in the Outaouais Region: A flag raising ceremony, parade and rally with music and patriotic speeches will also took place on Sunday.
- Saint-Jerome, Les Laurentides: At 6:30 PM on Monday at Centre Notre-Dame, Jonathan Lemire, author and history buff, will be making a presentation. Michael Payer, storyteller and singer, will provide musical entertainment.
- Ville de Quebec: At Carre d’Youville, dancers dressed as patriots will perform and then carry a mat with the flag of the Patriots to a dinner at Maison Chevalier.
Be sure to plan ahead and schedule corporate events in Canada when it's possible to enrich the experiences of participants with Victoria Day or Journee nationale des patriotes celebrations.
Photo Credit: loneprimate