Not all mobile apps look the same or perform the same functions. Building a native event app on multiple platforms takes a lot of work. It also requires a lot of time and resources. If you’ve decided your business event needs a mobile app (and it does), investing in experienced app developers is key in creating a quality app that will make your event a bigger success.
When should you outsource event technology? When your in-house tech expert says...
“Let’s build a simple web-based app.”
- Web-based apps depend on the Internet to function. Since most conferences are often located in spots with a poor Wi-Fi connection, you risk having an app that doesn’t work. Not only would this be a huge waste of time and money, it would also negatively affect the experience of your attendees.
- Web-based apps aren’t as capable. That means no push notifications, no photos, no location-based services, and no other features that could accelerate the popularity of your event. Going beyond the basics to develop more interactive features means a more rewarding and valuable experience for your attendees, speakers, exhibitors, and sponsors.
“I can build a native app for Apple and Android.”
- Building a native app is complex and takes at least 9 months per platform. You need experts on your side who know the systems, who have built apps before, and know how to get them published.
- Mobile app development is a competitive market and it takes a well-managed team to really be successful. You’ll also need people who specialize in both iOS and Android.
“Just tell me what changes you need and I can make them.”
- Making changes are not simple unless you have a robust content management system. Any changes made here will sync to your device without needing to re-submit them to the app store. Re-submitting takes an average of two weeks--that's time you don't have to spare while in the middle of an event.
- You need 100% control of the content and the ability to make changes on the fly. Having to go through another person wastes time and doesn’t guarantee they will go through exactly the way you want or will be made immediately when requested.
While it might sound simpler to go with an in-house developer at first, it’s rarely the best choice for your event. Look for a mobile app team who has experience creating a wide variety of successful apps for corporate events of all sizes.
Want to see a native app up close and learn about the features that help make your event more popular? Check out one of our free webinars to see what our team of developers can do for your event.