Puerto Rico‘s hospitality and tourism momentum to reach pre-Maria levels by mid-2019 can be attributed to its extraordinary air access, with 110 daily flights served by 28 airlines; no passport requirement for U.S. citizens; and the use of the U.S. dollar. Additionally, 100% of power and communications — of which no roaming is required for U.S.-based mobile plans — have been restored.
The island provides the ease of doing business with a U.S. destination and the allure of a Caribbean retreat with a unique history and culture. Highlights illustrating the continued momentum includes these recent and upcoming milestones:
- 3,800 brand-new rooms bringing 25% more capacity, thanks to new hotel developments that include JW Marriott in Dorado, Mall of San Juan Hotel, and the Four Seasons Cayo Largo Resort.
- The debut in late 2019 of the 5-acre District San Juan, a hospitality and entertainment district designed to be the Caribbean’s most vibrant and popular setting for events, conventions, and performances of all types.
- The opening of the new Aloft Hotel at the Convention Center at District San Juan, featuring 175 loftlike rooms over seven stories, as well as the WXYZ Bar, an infinity pool, and a large, state-of-the-art fitness center.
- 132 lodging options that are open and accepting reservations.
- 10,806 rooms currently available for bookings, boosting occupancy levels by 3.8% from April through June of this year compared with Q2 of 2017.
- The Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve is once again welcoming guests after the 110-room resort expanded and improved facilities, including Spa Botánico and new landscaping with more than 300,000 flora and fauna.
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort’s targeted reopening in December after the completion of a $60 million renovation that includes the large seaside pool, an oceanfront golf course, and the new Iridium Spa.
- The reopening of El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton on Isla Verde Beach this winter, following a significant restoration of everything from its 388 rooms and oceanfront villas to its ornamental hand-carved mahogany ceiling in its iconic and historic lobby.
Additionally, 480 new rooms will be available in December at Meliá Coco Beach. Other revamp projects include El Conquistador Resort, a Waldorf Astoria Resort; Caribe Hilton; and The Ritz-Carlton San Juan.
Visit DiscoverPuertoRico.com for information on the island’s wide array of offerings in adventure, culture, and cuisine.