Event planning doesn’t happen overnight, and if you have never planned an event before then it’s intimidating.
Event planning is no joke, whether it’s planning Cvent CONNECT, a team happy hour, or a wedding. There is a lot more that goes into an event than the average person may think.
Make planning an event simple by breaking it down into these four steps:
1. Choose Your Event
- What is your event? Pick a theme and a name to start building it. Get an idea of what you want. Is this an app walkthrough with clients or a high-level management brunch? Figure the fundamentals out first.
2. Set a Budget
- This budget is going to change and may grow, so take that into consideration. For example: if the AV company adds things you weren’t expecting but are now necessary, you have to figure out how to adapt.
- Budgets are difficult to manage, so try to dedicate a fixed amount for certain components: food and beverage, entertainment, AV needs, venue space, décor, shipping, etc.
- Decide who’s paying for the event. Where is the money coming from? If it is being split, pre-plan for the allocation of payments to keep finances and accounting easy.
3. Find a Venue
- How many people are you inviting? This is the first thing you should ask. Some venues have different rooms to offer but others don’t.
- When considering an outdoor venue, ask about options in case of bad weather. Ask if these options are free!
- Think about accessibility. Each event has different needs, so weigh them accordingly.
- Key Questions: How far is the food from the meeting room? Are there enough outlets for laptop chargers? How many tables will fit? What is the max capacity of each room?
Get very detailed with your questions!
4. Pick Vendors
- Will your venue take care of all your needs? If not, you will need to find companies to fulfill the basic needs of your event.
- Event Needs: AV/tech, catering, shipping, décor, keynote speakers, gifts, etc.