By carefully selecting travel dates, it is possible to leverage local events and provide a richer conference, meeting or event experience for corporate groups. For example, we have previously discussed a number of festivals and local special events that take place annually and links to some of these features are at the bottom of this blog post.
One event that is guaranteed to delight any crowd is a food festival. Often, for an affordable price, guests can sample gourmet cuisine and local specialties. Here are just a few example of some of the food and beverage festivals and events that take place annually around the world.
- Gourmet Food and Wine Expo (Toronto)
At this annual event that takes place in mid-November, over 40,000 guests have an opportunity to sample gourmet cuisine and wine from Toronto and the 4 corners of the globe. Special events include tutored wine tastings and a gala.
- Niagara Food & Wine Expo (Niagara Falls, Ontario)
During the last week of April, this annual event features local cuisine from the Niagara region and international culinary delights. There is a live celebrity auction, special cheese tastings and chef's stage with cooking demonstrations.
- Fetes gourmandes internationales de Laval (Laval - North of Montreal)
In a festive atmosphere that reflects Quebecois culture, Fetes gourmandes internationales de Laval at Place Claude-Leveillee showcases Quebec wine, craft beer, local agricultural produce, and international gourmet cuisine. To really experience this event Montreal style, hop on the Metro and get off at Montmorency station. This event takes place annually during the last week of July.
SIAL ((Salon International de l'Alimentation) The Global Food Marketplace (Paris)
During the 3rd week of October, Paris hosts this bi-annual gastronomic experience at Parc des Expositions de Paris Nord Villepinte. The next one is scheduled for 2014. Even if you can't make it to Paris, you can still experience SIAL's gourmet events. SIAL also has the following bi-annual events:
- SIAL Middle East (Abu Dhabi) - last week of November, next event is in 2013
- SIAL Canada at Toronto's Direct Energy Centre in early May, next event is in 2013
- SIAL China in Shanghai (China)during the first week of May, next event is in 2013
- SIAL Brazil in Sao Paulo (Brazil) during the last week of June next event is in 2013
United Arab Emirates
- Taste of Dubai Festival
The Taste of Dubai Festival takes place annually in mid-March at Dubai Internet City. It is an opportunity to sample Middle Eastern and international cuisine.
You don't have to travel to a foreign destination to savor gourmet cuisine at a food festival. The following US wine and food events take place every year.
- New York City Wine and Food Festival in mid-October
- There are a number of food festivals in New Orleans
- Georgia Peach Festival in Byron & Fort Valley in mid-June
- Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland, Maine end of July
For other food festivals, also consult Niagara-on-the-Lake Icewine Festival, In the News: Europe and the UK More Affordable This Fall on Cvent Event Blog.
Photo Credit: danielle_blue