I rolled into Las Vegas on Sunday for MPI Smart Day and IMEX America. It was nothing like I expected. Looking out of the plane on my WestJet flight, I saw some of the most varied and interesting terrain I have ever witnessed. In close proximity there were snow-capped mountains, canyons, rugged mountain ranges and desert.
After years of seeing Las Vegas on TV and in movies I expected huge skyscrapers densely packed together. Instead the buildings were relatively low and the city had a bright, light and airy feeling. With the mountain ranges in the background and irrigation for the vegetation, it reminded me of Oman. The biggest surprise by far is that there is so much to do nearby besides gambling. So to all the event planners who have shied away from Las Vegas, here are 10 excursions you can build into your itinerary for conferences and corporate events:
- Go on an off-roading Jeep or land rover desert safari.
- Take an airplane or helicopter excursion to the grand canyon.
- Take the Indian Country Bus Tour (that's what it's called).
- Go on the Grand Canyon Cavern Tour.
- Take the Vegas Mob Tour and relive Sin City's dark past!
- Have a picnic at Hoover Dam.
- Dine at a gourmet restaurant - there are many celebrity chef eateries.
- See the Blue Man Group.
- Enjoy a musical theater performance (e.g. Jersey Boys, Phantom of the Opera.
- Get scared out of your wits on a Haunted Vegas Tour.
There is no way you'll be able to do all of this on one trip so, you're bound to return.
For updates about Las Vegas and IMEX America, follow @executiveoasis and the #imexamerica11 hashtag on Twitter.