I am spending my first New Year's Eve in New York. My sister goes almost every year and participates in the Midnight Run in Central Park; but for me, going to a party or watching to ball drop on TV has been my New Year's Eve celebration in Montreal (or Toronto in Y2K).
There is no shortage of great events to ring in the New York. In fact, I almost named this post 8 Things to do on New Year's Eve in New York City Without Going to Times Square. For sure you can head to Times Square and join in the festivities but here are 8 other ideas.
These events can provide inspiration for your own corporate events as well as special event menus and activities throughout the year.
- George Balanchine's The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center There are 2 performances in the afternoon. So, if you missed it on Christmas Eve, you can still catch it.
- High Tea at The Russian Tea Room With a complimentary Champagne if booked online, guests can select from the $50 High Tea with sandwiches, blinis, assorted seasonal scones, cupcakes and petits fours, or the $85 Royal High Tea, which also includes caviar on blinis.
- Black Tie Gala at the Carlyle With a price tag of $575 per person, this gala caters to the well-heeled. It offers a 4 course dinner and a complimentary glass of Champagne.
- New Year's Eve Dinner at The Russian Tea Room This 6-course gourmet dinner with a prix-fixe menu featuring Siberian Osetra Caviar, Oyster Rockefeller, Foie Gras and lobster, this $500 per person dinner will also appeal to the well-healed.
- New Year's Eve Ride Bicycle ride that is. The cyclists will gather at Washington Square Park Arch at 10 PM and cycle to Belvedere Castle in Central Park for a party and fireworks.
- New Year's Eve Cruise on the Hudson River Guests dressed in their finest formal attire board a 1920s style yacht at Chelsea Piers (Pier 62). There will be a champagne/sparkling wine tasting class. Then, from a heated, glass enclosed observatory with a full view of the fireworks, passengers will enjoy dancing, hors d' oeuvres, desserts, and libations from the standard open bar.
- New Year's Eve Ball at Webster Hall Boasting the world's largest balloon drop at midnight in the free world (North Korea's is larger), this 4 level venue has party favors, fireworks, dancing, and a full open bar from 8 PM to 2:00 AM.
- The Midnight Run in Central Park I've been hearing about this 4-mile run for years. Participants show up in costumes. There's dancing at 10, fireworks and lots of hot chocolate to fight off the winter chill.Then the runners are off. With a bit of coaxing I may turn up to cheer on the runners in my family.
For more New Year's Eve ideas, also check out New Year's Eve in Washington, DC. An number of the activities we profiled in our Christmas Eve in New York City special are also available on New Year's Eve.
Photo Credit. CherryPoint, Effie Gidakos (International Tea Review)