Today is Canada Day, the day when Canadians celebrate the birth of their nation. I have previously discussed what happens on Canada Day and why it is an ideal time for foreign companies and associations to plan group events in Canada.
Events that are taking place today in Ottawa, Canada's capital, include:
- Flag-raising ceremony
- Changing of the Guard
- Carillon concert at noon
- a mid-day and evening concerts with entertainment by Magic! and other Canadian greats
In 2017, there will be a host of special events in celebration of the sesquicentennial, the 150th anniversary of Confederation, Canada's independence from England.
Celebrations of Canada 150 will actually begin special events on New Year's Eve in 2016. Look for blockbuster fireworks and special entertainment on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Canada's capital.
In fact, while celebrations will take place from sea-to-sea, Ottawa will be the epi-centre of Canada 2017 Sesquicentennial events.
In preparation, Legacy projects to improve Ottawa's infrastructure include:
- construction of Light Rail Transit Confederation Line
- Ottawa Innovation Centre at Bayview Yards
- the planting of 1 million trees and 150 groves 20 new community gardens
The following venues will re-open:
- the National Arts Centre after a $110.5-million renovation
- the Canada Science and Technology Museum through a $80.5-million investment
- the Ottawa Art Gallery following a $100-million transformation that includes the addition of a 21-storey mixed-use tower for Le Germain Hotel and condominiums, a 250-seat multi-purpose and film-screening room, and a 120-seat theatre
Under the banner Ottawa2015, Ottawa has been assigned the responsibility of planning a full 12 months of programming and including a number of Signature Events with the guiding principles pictured to the right.
Big, bold, immersive, and transformative – 2017 Signature Events will be once-in-a-lifetime experiences
There will be:
- First Nations events
- youth events
- sporting events (in which the NHL Ottawa Senators, CFL Ottawa Redblacks, and NASL Ottawa Fury FC will participate
While the full calendar has not been unveiled, here is a preview of one of the Signature events.
On New Years Eve of 2017, special events will mark the passing of the torch to the next generation.