With its beautiful parks, world-class museums and unique events, you won’t find a better place to discover and create new memories than downtown Indianapolis. While most people know about the city’s famous professional sports teams and top museums, there’s even more to love about this fun and culturally-diverse destination. To help you start planning your next visit, we’ve highlighted some of our favorite things to do in Downtown Indy.
- Easly Winery Tour – Take a free winery tour at Indiana’s oldest family-owned winery. Offered on Saturdays and Sundays, this fun tour offers a behind the scenes look at a working winery. Wine tasting is optional and costs $5.
- Indianapolis City Market – part historic landmark, part bustling marketplace, the Indianapolis City Market is a fun and festive destination where you can hang out with family and friends, grab a great meal, or do a little shopping. The market is brimming with fresh produce, meats, and cheeses, as well as authentic ethnic cuisine, freshly baked breads, locally-designed jewelry and more. If you love craft beer, be sure to stop by the Tomilson Tap Room to sample some full-flavored brews.
- Downtown Indy Canal Walk – Get some fresh air and take a scenic stroll along the three-mile loop trail, where you’ll pass historic churches, inspiring sculptures, military memorials, and some of Indy’s best contemporary architecture.
- Indianapolis Cultural Trail – The best way to experience the unique culture and beauty of Indianapolis is with a walk, jog, or bike ride through downtown’s six distinctive cultural districts. The 8-mile trail is a perfect way to explore these vibrant neighborhoods, and will take you past local shops, incredible art, beautiful parks, and world-class attractions. If you left your bike at home, just take advantage of the convenient Indiana Pacers Bikeshare program.
- Workout Wednesdays – If you are in town during the summer, grab your sneakers and head over to George Street from noon to 12:45 for free fitness classes. The YMCA is even providing free water and towels.
- Concerts on the Canal – Hosted by the Indiana Historical Society, this fun and free concert series is a true summer highlight. Bring your blankets down to the Kruse Family Stardust Plaza, History Center and enjoy incredible music ranging from rock and pop classics to authentic New Orleans blues, Jazz standards, funk and more.
- Indianapolis Artsgarden – Operated by the Arts Council of Indianapolis, this incredible seven-story landmark offers endless inspiration, including more than 250 free public performances each year, in addition to monthly visual arts exhibitions by artists who live and work in central Indiana.
- Downtown Parks – Read a book, toss a frisbee, or enjoy a picnic on the grass at one of the many parks in Downtown Indy, including White River State Park, Military Park and University Park.
- Eugene and Marilyn Glick History Center – Discover the unique history of Indiana, including exclusive exhibitions like the Indiana Experience. There is also an extensive research library, digital and print image collections, and more. The reference staff can help you find what you’re looking for.
- First Fridays – Browse more than 25 art galleries on a self-guided tour and discover new local art during the first Friday of each month.
Our Hotel in Downtown Indianapolis
Featuring five connected hotels, three renovated products, with stylish guest rooms and suites, premium amenities, and the perfect location, it’s easy to see why Marriott IndyPlace includes a collection of the top-rated hotels in Downtown Indianapolis. We are just minutes away from popular attractions like Lucas Oil Stadium, White River State Park, the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and the Indianapolis Zoo, while providing our guests with authentic hospitality and generous amenities around every corner.
Various room types, price points, brands and in-room amenities, access to multiple price points, 2,276 total rooms, 150,000 sq. ft. of meeting space and multiple bars/restaurants help architect a buzz-worthy event at Marriott IndyPlace. With these types of options, the variety and flexibility that Marriott IndyPlace now offers is unrivaled in any other Midwest Convention City. Learn more today at www.marriottindyplace.com .